A travel advisory issued by the government of South Korea on Tuesday that warned against teen travel to the country has sparked an outcry.
The travel advisory from the Ministry of Health and Welfare warned against visiting the country as there is an outbreak of the coronavirus.
The government issued the travel advisory for South Korea at the start of July in order to better inform the public about the outbreak and how to protect themselves.
In a statement, the ministry said the travel advice is “designed to inform the youth about the risks of traveling to the area” and that “children should consider the possibility of spreading the virus”.
“The ministry also said that children should not wear masks when travelling alone and that they should not eat at restaurants, hotels, or public places with high risk of transmission of the virus,” the statement said.
The statement added that South Korea is working to increase vaccination rates in order “to reduce the number of cases and deaths”.
The ministry said South Korea has seen a drop in the number and spread of the pandemic and that there are currently more than 100,000 people in quarantine.
“The department has started to track and monitor all cases of coronaviruses in the country, and we are working with the National Institute of Hygiene and Infectious Diseases (NIEID) to monitor all new cases in the nation and increase vaccination and treatment,” it said.
The ministry has also urged people to stay away from public places and restaurants that may be hosting high risk cases of the disease.
“The government is working hard to increase the number in quarantine, as well as to prevent the spread of virus,” it added.
Experts have said that while the pandemics coronaviral spread has largely subsided, the pandemia may have become more virulent and the number has increased as more people have come in contact with the virus.
South Korea, the world’s second-largest economy and home to nearly half the world population, has been in a state of emergency since April.
While there has been no new cases, the government is stepping up its response and has imposed restrictions on many travel options.
A total of 14 million South Koreans have been tested for coronavaccine-related illness.
On Wednesday, the Ministry for Health and Family Welfare released the results of a survey showing that more than 40 per cent of people surveyed said they had been diagnosed with the coronivirus and that the number is likely to rise further.